The Rock Hall Volunteer Fire Company was first organized on April 27, 1927. Before the organization of the company in its present day form, all fires were fought by bucket brigades that were summoned by the ringing of the church bell. The first officers were Herbert A. Urie (President), Trew Durding (Vice President), Allan Urie (Secretary), and Joseph Downey Jr. (Treasurer). The original directors were William C. Francis, Leonard Rich, J. Robert Lewis, Thomas A. Tucker, John R. Dowling, T. Jewell Thompson, Joseph B. Davis, W.R. Rodney, Max Alexander, Harry R. Price, A Keller, O. Cecil Crouch, and Fred Williams.
Shortly after the formation, a Ladies Auxiliary was formed by Mrs. John Wood, Mrs. George Davis, Mrs. David Joiner, Mrs. Bennett Wilson, Mrs. Benjamin Coleman, and Mrs. Millard Rodney. From the first formation of the Company and Auxiliary to present day, the volunteers remain active, loyal, and forever dedicated to fighting fires, rescue, community service, and fund raising. Many of the current members are descendants of the original members.
To promptly and professionally deliver quality emergency life safety services to the Town of Rock Hall and surrounding communities with the highest level of integrity, commitment, teamwork, and community engagement through pride, dedication, and excellence.